First Fridays: Celebrating the Sounds & Sights of Carolina
February 4 at 12:15 pm
Front Steps of Hill Hall (McCorkle Place side) – weather permitting
- Featuring The Carolina Ukulele Ensemble!
- “The Carolina Ukulele Ensemble is the world’s first collegiate ukulele ensemble. We are made up of students of all skill levels and backgrounds and have been active since 2010. We hold one concert at the end of each semester, comprised of ensemble and small group songs. In between these larger performances, we’ve also performed at gigs like this one! In terms of musical variety, we are always looking to learn new songs while also paying homage to the original pieces that made CUE what it is today. We are excited to see where our ensemble can go from here, especially as we continue to pursue a diverse range of genres, songs, and performances in the coming year.”
- Grow As We Go – Sydney Senter
- This is the Song – Robyn Ardern & Matthew Wasyluk
- Sister Golden Hair – Chiazo Agina, Anna Keener, Isabela Peterson
- Black Smoke Rising – Anna Keener & Isabela Peterson
- Apunk – Anna Keener
- 80s Medley – Roby Ardern, Chiazo Agina, Stephanie Caddell, Rucha Kapshikar, Isabela Peterson
Created in Fall 2019 by Arts Everywhere and the UNC Department of Music, First Fridays is a concert series that features pop-up performances by different student and chamber ensembles on the first Friday of each month in the rotunda of Hill Hall as well as in various locations across campus. These informal concerts allow students, faculty, staff, and community members to come and go as they listened to live music of all genres and configurations. Last year’s virtual performances featured music by underrepresented voices such as Mélanie Bonis, Betty Jackson King, Robert Owens, Julia Perry, Florence Price, William Grant Still, and Chen Yi.
This year, we’re celebrating the many sights and sounds of Carolina and look forward to showcasing a wide variety of different genres and styles of music.
Learn more about past First Friday performances or watch the 2020-2021 First Fridays performances.