Arts Everywhere is proud to announce a four-day residency with acclaimed choreographer Michelle Dorrance and her groundbreaking company Dorrance Dance that bridges the arts, athletics, technology, neuroscience, and medicine.
A Chapel Hill-native and 2015 MacArthur Fellow, Dorrance is a virtuoso who is putting tap on the cultural map through tireless experimentation and innovative collaborations that are making the uniquely American art form relevant to all. Her 16-person company, which includes hip-hop dancers, breakers, and musicians in addition to tap dancers, has been described by The New York Times as “glorious.”
The residency includes: workshops at a local school and UNC Children’s Hospital; a public talk with Michelle Dorrance and Anson Dorrance; class visits in the Department of Music and Department of Communication; collaborations with UNC neuroscientists and the BeAM Makerspace; campus-wide pop-up performances; and free classes open to community members.
THE EVENTS BELOW ARE FREE & OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
Monday, Jan. 22
- 12:30pm-1:00pm: Pop-Up Performance with Dorrance Dance at Top of Lenoir
Tuesday, Jan. 23
- 12:00pm-1:00pm: Footwork Battles with Dorrance Dance and soccer freestyle champion Indi Cowie at Davis Library, Carolina Union, Undergraduate Library, and Polk Place
- 6:15pm-6:45pm: Pop-Up Performance with Dorrance Dance at Chase Dining Hall
Wednesday, Jan. 24
- 6:00pm-7:00pm: The Art of Excellence – A Public Conversation with Michelle Dorrance and UNC Women’s Soccer Coach Anson Dorrance at Gerrard Hall
Thursday, Jan. 25
- 12:15pm-1:15pm: Pop-Up Performance with Dorrance Dance at FedEx Global Education Center and Koury Atrium
All events are free. No registration required.