About the Project
First Fridays was a concert series created by Arts Everywhere and the Department of Music which featured pop-up performances by different student and chamber ensembles on the first Friday of each month in the rotunda of Hill Hall. These informal concerts allowed students, faculty, staff, and community members to come and go as they listened to live music of all genres and configurations. However, in an effort to keep the community safe and healthy, First Fridays will look a little different this fall.
Arts Everywhere and the UNC Department of Music are seeking proposals for virtual, pre-recorded 15-30 minute programs featuring music by underrepresented voices (BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, women, etc.). This program should include both performance and a short description/discussion of the musical work, composer, and historical context. These programs should also include a short written (two to three paragraphs minimum) description of the work(s), composer(s), and historical context(s). This written description will be used to accompany the video on the day of the performance and, in part, to help market the series.
Selected musicians will be featured in the monthly virtual First Friday series and will receive $50 per person OR $200 per ensemble of 5 people or more. Each performer/group will be featured in a mini profile/blog post on them as well to accompany the video and help with the push leading up to it.
This call for proposals is open to all UNC students. Both individual performers and small student groups, who can perform in a safe, physically-distanced configuration, will be considered.
August 16, 2020 by midnight
Please submit the following as one .pdf file attachment in an email to Arts Everywhere at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “First Friday Proposal” and your name in the subject of the email line.
- Contact information: Name and preferred pronouns, major/year, instrument, email address
- Program information
- Potential program
- Underrepresented piece/composer and why you chose this piece or composer to highlight
- Short bio and headshot(s) of performer(s) for marketing
During the week of August 17, all submissions will be reviewed by a selection committee, composed of staff and faculty from Arts Everywhere and the Department of Music. Winners will be notified of their selection no later than Friday, August 21.
- Submission Deadline: August 16, 2020
- Winner Notifications and assigned First Friday date sent out by: August 21, 2020
- Videos, photos, and other materials sent to Cat Zachary at email@example.com at least two weeks prior to your performance date (or in the case of the September 4 performance, by the Monday of your scheduled performance week, August 31).
Tentative First Friday schedule for Fall 2020
- September 4, 2020 at 1:00 pm
- October 2, 2020 at 1:00 pm
- November 6, 2020 at 1:00 pm