First Fridays – Call for Proposals for Spring 2021
About the Project
This past fall, Arts Everywhere and the UNC Department of Music were pleased to present First Fridays online featuring students performing works by underrepresented voices. The performers from our Fall performances wowed us with their artistry, inspired us with their research, and called us to learn and do more.
For Spring 2021 Arts Everywhere and the UNC Department of Music are again seeking proposals for virtual, pre-recorded 15-30 minute programs featuring works by underrepresented voices (BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, women, etc.). The programs should include a short written (two to three paragraphs minimum) description/discussion of the work(s), composer(s), and historical context(s). This written description will be used to accompany the performance video on the day of the performance and, in part, to help market the series.
Selected musicians will be featured in the monthly virtual First Fridays series and will receive $50 per person OR $200 per ensemble of 5 people or more. Each performer/group will be featured in a mini profile/blog post on them as well to accompany the video and help with the push leading up to it.
This call for proposals is open to all UNC students. Both individual performers and small student groups, who can perform in a safe, physically-distanced configuration, will be considered.
November 30, 2020 by midnight
Deadline extended to December 6, 2020 at midnight.
Please submit the following as one .pdf file attachment in an email to Arts Everywhere at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “First Fridays Proposal” and your name in the subject of the email line.
- Contact information: Name and preferred pronouns, major/year, instrument, email address
- Program information
- Potential program
- Underrepresented piece/composer and why you chose this piece or composer to highlight
- Short bio and headshot(s) of performer(s) for marketing
During the week of November 30, all submissions will be reviewed by a selection committee, composed of staff and faculty from Arts Everywhere and the Department of Music. Winners will be notified of their selection no later than Monday, December 7, 2020.
- Submission Deadline: November 30, 2020
- Winner Notifications and assigned First Friday date sent out by: December 7, 2020.
- Videos should be sent to Cat Zachary at email@example.com at least two weeks prior to your performance date
Tentative First Fridays schedule for Spring 2021
- February 5, 2021 at 12:00 pm
- March 5, 2021 at 12:00 pm
- April 2, 2021 at 12:00 pm